Saturday, February 18, 2012

What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?

I am a avid star gazer but I keep seeing a yellowish global cluster, does anyone know what I am seeing?What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?You are seeing Comet 17P Holmes. It's a bright object visible by the unaided eye and easily captured with a normal camera through a telescope.

I captured it 28 October and again 3 November.

Have a look at my pictures:



http://www.pbase.com/es839145/image/8805鈥?/a>

and

http://www.pbase.com/es839145/image/8839鈥?/a>What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?
You're seeing Comet Holmes. Its letting off plumes of gas right now, which makes it very special. The BBC link has a picture so you can compare it to what you've seen and verify the finding.What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?Hello,

Please see if the following conditions are applicable:



1. That is a whitish , round like structure, fuzzy

2. That is below alpha P and is slowly moving to alpha P (not predicted in one night)

3. It does not blinks.

4. It makes a triangle with alpha P and one more star at east to alpha P





then it is comet holmes which has been just sighted in sky.

Following links will help you:

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/h鈥?/a>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Holme鈥?/a>

http://weblogs.marylandweather.com/Comet鈥?/a>



good luck.

see it from telescope, its a real please to see it.What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?
With binoculars I could make out a coma that was sharply defined in the northeast direction and fuzzy southwest, the tail I presume.What am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?You are seeing comet 17 p Holmes. I was helping a friend move the other night and saw it, and I just happened to have my new scope with me,so we pointed it towards it and WOW......fine site thru scope. I was Like what the...... I knew there were a few comets around but I didn't think they could be seen with the naked eye. When I got home I looked it up online and discovered it was comet 17 p Holmes and there had been an explosion on it bringing it down from mag. 17 to mag 2.5 ........ visible mag. is 6 and below.......pretty coolWhat am I seeing in the constellation Perseus?
group of stars
Perseus, in astronomy, northern constellation lying E of Cassiopeia and N of Taurus. It contains the bright star Mirfak (Alpha Persei) and Algol (Beta Persei), a visible variable star of the type known as an eclipsing variable. Perseus contains two star clusters (NGC 869 and NGC 884) that are visible to the naked eye, as well as an open cluster (M34) that is barely visible.



A meteor shower known as the Perseids appears to radiate from a star in Perseus; this shower *can be seen* every year for several nights beginning Aug. 10, after midnight. In 1901 a brilliant nova was observed in the constellation. Perseus reaches its highest point in the evening sky in late December.

No comments:

Post a Comment